|1. LifeStraw||2. Sawyer Products||3. Brita|
Water is an essential element of human life and we all know this. When we are at home, we have water filters.
But when we are camping, hiking, or leaving home in an emergency, it is necessary to have the best survival water filter in our kit. It is required for the consumption of pure, unadulterated water.
It is a kind of insurance that assures us safe and healthy drinking water in unfavorable conditions. In this guide, you will find the top survival water filters to be considered in 2020. All the necessary factors are also mentioned which helps you make a decision regarding this survival gear.
Then, you are going to know about its benefits and functions as well. The guide offers you all the important information necessary for your knowledge about the water filters.
Top 39 Best Survival Water Filters 2022
1. LifeStraw Water Filter
If you are looking for a water-filter, which is both cheap and effective, buy LifeStraw personal water filter. The filter comes from an award-winning company that is capable of filtering 1,000 gallons of unclean water without iodine, chlorine, or any other chemical.
To make it work you don’t require any battery. It is designed to get rid of 99.99% of water-borne bacteria and protozoan parasites. Being a portable water filter, it weighs 2oz. It has a high flow rate for drinking.
It doesn’t take much space in your bag and is secured with a sealed bag. Also, the filter meets the EPA filter standards.
- The price of the filter is nominal.
- It is lightweight.
- It doesn’t take much space in your kit.
- The results of filtration are good.
- The body of the filter is made with safe material.
- Using it efficiently could be an issue for some users.
2. Sawyer Products Mini Water Filtration System
A good water filter is one that offers bacteria-free water and this is that one filter you should be looking for. It is the ideal filter for trekking, camping, and emergencies. It is a 0.1 Micron inline filter that weighs 2 oz.
It is attached to reusable drinking pouches. It can kill 99.99% of all the bacteria and protozoa to give you healthy water for consumption. It also removes 99.99% of microplastics for your safety.
The best thing about this filter is that it can clean up to 100,000 gallons of water. There are 2 filters in the pack, 2 drinking straws, and two cleaning plungers.
- The filter is efficient and kills 99.99% of bacteria.
- There are different colors of filters available.
- It has cleaning plungers and drinking pouches.
- It is light in weight and portable.
- There are 2 filters in the pack.
- The cost is a little high.
3. Brita Premium Water Filter Bottles
This is a water bottle with an in-built water filter. It cleans your water as you drink. It is a 26-ounce bottle that is available in different colors. The filter is nominally-priced, considering the features it has.
It is made with durable material that is BPA-free and safe to use. There is a loop at the top of the bottle for easy carry. The bottle is easy to use and can be washed in a dishwasher. Buying this bottle is a good choice as it takes less space in your kit.
- The bottle is available in different colors.
- The filter cleans water well.
- It is made with safe and durable material.
- It is easy to use this bottle.
- You can wash it in a dishwasher.
- Also, it is not much expensive.
- The bottle may contain less quantity of water.
4. LifeStraw Go Water Filter Bottle
As you look for bottles with a survival water filter, prefer buying it from LifeStraw. It has been manufacturing the bottles with a filtration system for years and came up with this bottle sometime back. It is a bottle that has a water filter inside it.
It is a BPA-free bottle that filters the water during drinking. No matter from where you have taken water, it will kill all the bacteria and protozoa in it. The filter ensures safe drinking water by working efficiently.
The 2-stage activated carbon filter in the bottle will give you odorless water. The bottle is durable and leak proof. And nearly 70% of the Amazon buyers have recommended this bottle with filter.
- The filter cleans the water properly.
- The bottle can be bought in different colors.
- The filter offers odorless water.
- It is a durable and leak-proof product.
- You can use it and clean it easily.
- The bottle is a little expensive.
5. Survivor Filter Pro Water Filter
Want bacteria and protozoa-free water? Buy Survivor Filter PRO Water Filter as it is a one-stop-solution to all your water-related problems. It is made with triple filtration technology and meets EPA drinking water standards to offer you water that is pure and odorless.
It is manufactured with heavy-duty ABS material that is durable and safe to use. The filter is accompanied by a pump to transfer clean water to an attached cup. It can clean even the dirtiest of the water, you just need to do it properly.
It comes with a travel bag and a manual for your help. More than 70% of the Amazon buyers have suggested buying this water filter.
- Filter completely cleans contaminated water.
- It is made with triple filtration technology.
- The product is durable and safe to use.
- You will get a travel bag, manual, and a cup with the filter.
- It promises of odorless water for drinking.
- The kit may take some space in your bag.
6. Berkey BK4X2
In this pack, you will get a stainless steel container along with 2 filters and 2 fluoride elements. It can hold up to 2.25 gallons of clean water. It serves 4 to 16 people, owing to its impressive capacity with a volume of 8.5 x 8.5 x 19.25 inches.
The vessel is durable and strong. There is a knob outside it for easy flow of clean water. Each of the filters has a lifespan of 3000 gallons while each of the fluoride elements is having a span of 1000 gallons.
The filters are efficient in providing bacteria-free water. It kills dirt to make it drinkable. You can try this product without hesitation.
- There are 2 filters and 2 fluoride elements for clean water.
- The stainless steel container is long lasting.
- Filters are made with safe material.
- You will get pure and safe water.
- It can offer clean water to more than 3 people.
- The size is a little big.
- Clean the filters regularly or else bacteria will grow in dry filters.
7. LifeStraw Portable Gravity Powered
Though the price of this product is a little high, the results are amazing. It cleans the water really well to offer you harmless water. It has been launched only after passing the purification standards of EPA.
The purifier is designed to get rid of all the dirt, bacteria, and protozoa from contaminated water. It produces close to 4755 gallons of clean water. The purifier can be used for 3-4 people during hikes, camps or in emergency situations.
To use it, you have to pour unclean water from the top and clean water will come out from the bottom. The filters are easy to clean and have a life of 3 years.
- The material of filters is strong and durable.
- The container is also long lasting and safe.
- It offers you 99.99% clean water.
- Cleaning the filters is easy.
- 3-4 people can be served by it at a time.
- It is high priced
8. Sawyer Products Squeeze Water Filter System
It is a 0.1 absolute micron hollow fiber membrane inline filter. There are two 32-ounce pouches that are attached to the filter to give you clean water. The filter cleans the water fully and removes bacteria.
The pouches are foldable and can be used as many times as you want. The whole pack is going to take less space in your kit, so, don’t worry about your bag being heavy. Clinically and hygienically testes, you get the best product in the market. Hence, it is a safe product to use.
- The product is safe and long lasting.
- Filter removes bacteria completely.
- Pouches are compact and reusable.
- Filter can be cleaned easily.
- It is a lightweight product.
- It is priced little high.
9. Survivor Filter 0.05 Micron Straw
Survivor Filter has invented filter straw that allows you to drink water directly from any source. The straw is built with 3 layers of filters inside it. It is designed very carefully to prevent viruses and bacteria from infecting your mouth.
The first layer is of cotton pre-filter that lasts up to 264 gallons per piece. The second layer is an ultra-filter that will live for 26,417 gallons. And, then comes the 3rd layer of replaceable carbon filter that will clean a total of 264 gallons.
You can easily change the 1st and 3rd layer of the filter once they expire. It is really lightweight and safe to use. It comes with a 0.05 Micron filtration to avoid bacteria entering your mouth. Due to its size, storing it is convenient.
- It is lightweight and small.
- The straw has 3 filtration layers.
- Replacing layers is easy.
- Cleaning can be done smoothly.
- It offers pure water.
- The straw is available in limited colors.
10. Squeeze Water Filter System with 3 Pouches
Squeeze water filter system is safe to use. It is durable and reliable. You need to attach the filter to a pouch accompanied in the pack. And, the filter will clean the contaminated water in the pouch. It is a 0.1 absolute micron water filter.
As soon as you will start drinking the water from it, it will begin to purify the water. There are 3 pouches in the pack- two 32-ounce pouches and one 16 ounce pouch. These can be rolled tightly and stored easily.
You can use these pouches as many times as you wish. Cleaning pouches and filter is convenient, just do it carefully to avoid damaging any of it.
- The product is lightweight.
- Both filter and pouches are durable.
- They are made with safe to use materials.
- You get purified water with the filter.
- Storing it is also easy in your bag.
- Some of the pouches could leak a little.
11. Platypus 4.0 Liter Water Filter System
This is a hollow-fiber water filter system that has high-capacity. You can use it for camping and emergency preparedness. The durability and reliability of this portable water filtration system are not going to disappoint you.
It removes the bacteria and protozoa completely from contaminated water. There are 2 pouches of 4 liters in this pack. One pouch is for dirty water and the other one is for clean water. Both these pouches are attached with a filtration pipe to purify the water.
The product is lightweight and easy to clean. Also, it will not take much space in your bag as the pouches can be folded.
- The pouches can be folded and reused.
- It is a lightweight product.
- The amount is also nominal.
- It is a high-capacity product.
- Cleaning process of pouches is easy.
- Some buyers may not like the quality of plastic bags.
12. Aquasana AQ-4000W
Out of so many filtration systems available in the market, this is the best portable water filtration system. It has a strong filter that can remove over 97% of chlorine and other harmful bacteria from the water.
During the filtration process, it is made sure that no useful nutrients are eliminated from the water. It offers you odorless water. Installing it is also an easy task. Along with all this, storing it is convenient.
It is not much heavy in weight. It works smoothly to give you clean water. Go through the manual properly for a thorough understanding. So, buy it now and start using it even at your home.
- It is easy to use this filtration system.
- The filters kill bacteria and retain necessary nutrients in water.
- Cleaning it is easy.
- It doesn’t take much space.
- You will get odorless water.
- It is a quite expensive product.
13. Katadyn Vario Water Filter
The filter is designed with dual pumping mode to remove harmful particles from the water. It has activated carbon that can reduce chemicals and active charcoal to remove odor from water. It also has a high-performance glasses fiber filter and a ceramic pre-filter to make it more effective.
As it is designed with dual piston technology, it will offer you maximum output with very little effort. Using this filter is no rocket science and maintaining it also easy. You just need to attach the filter to the water and let it work while you drink water.
- It comes with cleaning pad and pre-filter.
- You will get chemical free and odorless water.
- It is portable due to its small size.
- It has dual pumping mode.
- The flow of water is also fast.
- After sometime, its performance may degrade.
14. Katadyn BeFree Water Filter
Katadyn is selling a flexible and foldable flask with 0.1 micron water filter. The filter is capable of removing all the harmful organisms like bacteria, virus, and protozoa. Certified at par with EPA standards of water filtration, this water filter has become very popular among adventure lovers.
It is a safe product that is durable and reliable. You can fold it to fit in the bag when not in use. It is made with a high-quality material to ensure good health. It is easy to clean the flask and filter.
While talking about its usage, you simply need to fill the flask with dirty water and the filter will clean it when you will drink it. The filter is made to be efficient and long lasting. It can clean up to 264 gallons of water in total.
- Filter works efficiently.
- The material of flask is safe to use.
- It is a flexible flask.
- It takes less space in your bag.
- Cleaning it is not an issue.
- It can serve a single person at a time.
15. SteriPen Ultra UV Water Purifier
Well, if you are looking for something that is convenient to use and carry, you should consider buying this water filter pen for purified water. It is a small pen that you need to dip in unclean water to purify it.
It uses UV light to prevent germs from reproducing. The pen is able to kill 99.9% of the bacteria present in contaminated water. There is a small OLED display on the pen top, showing the treatment and battery status.
Once it is charged fully, you can use it for 50 treatments. And, in total it can treat around 3900 gallons of water. It can be charged with laptop or wall socket. Also, you can easily maintain it for efficient working.
- It can perform 50 treatments per charge.
- Maintaining the device is easy.
- It kills all the harmful organisms in water.
- The material of the pen is safe to use.
- There is a display for your convenience.
- The filtration pen has a high cost.
16. LifeStraw Flex Water Filter System
How harmful unclean water can be for us, we all know. And that is why LifeStraw Flex Multi-Function Water Filter System makes sure that you get pure and safe drinking water. Whenever the contaminated water passes through this filter, it kills all the harmful organisms.
The filter is attached to the cap of the bottle. So, whenever you drink water, it comes via filter, which effectively removes impurities. It is a 0.2 micron filter. It has passed all the EPA standards for your safety.
It is a product with 2-stage carbon filtration to remove chemicals from the water. The pack includes a soft foldable bottle, a 2-stage flex filter, and a backwash syringe.
- The bottle is flexible and lightweight.
- You can clean the bottle easily.
- The filter is made with 2-stage carbon filtration technology.
- The product has passed EPA standards.
- The material of the bottle is safe to use.
- The flow rate of water is little slow.
17. LifeStraw Universal Water Filter Bottle
The bottle has a 2-stage filter that assures that you get safe drinking water. It helps in reducing the level of harmful organisms from the contaminated water. It removes 99.99% of the bacteria from water.
You can easily replace the activated carbon capsule from the filter to chemicals and chlorine. It works well to give you odorless water. It is made with BPA-free material. It is a product that is recommended by more than 60% of the Amazon buyers.
- The bottle is available in different colors.
- There are 2 caps for your convenience.
- It comes with replaceable carbon capsules.
- You will get pure and odorless water.
- The price of the bottle is not high.
- The flow of water from caps may be slow.
18. Katadyn Hiker Pro
As you start searching for the right survival water filter in the market, you come across various options. But you need to buy the one that is durable and reliable. So, here is this trustworthy water filter you can purchase undoubtedly.
It is a lightweight and compactly designed water filter you can take for hiking. It gives you complete protection from harmful substances in unclean water. The filter comes with activated carbon to offer fresh taste and chemical free water.
Cleaning the filter from time to time allows it to live for a longer time. The transparent bottle design makes the cleaning process visible to the users for their zxsatisfaction. It is a bottle that can serve only 1 person.
- The transparent design is attractive.
- The filter offers chemical free water.
- Cleaning the filter is easy.
- Both the filter and bottle are durable.
- It is a lightweight bottle.
- It may take little space in your bag.
19. Lifesaver 4000UF
To have safe drinking water even during hiking, you need a portable filtration system. And, what could be more useful than this water filter bottle than LIFESAVER. The filter of the bottle uses hollow fiber technology to clean the water.
It will stop working once it will reach at the end of its lifetime. So, you need to make sure that you don’t use it after the expiry. The filter is going to serve you with purified water that is not having any chemicals or bacteria.
The filter can clean up to 1,056 gallons of water. The flow rate of the water from the bottle is satisfying. The bottle is lightweight and durable. You will get the desired results with this product. And, you can easily clean it whenever needed.
- The product is manufactured with BPA-free material.
- The filter purifies water properly.
- The flow rate of water is also good.
- Bottle is light in weight.
- Both the bottle and filter are long lasting.
- If not maintained properly, it may start leaking.
One of its kind filtration system, it is known to provide the best results within minutes. It is designed to remove 99.99% of radiological contaminants from unclean water. It also works well in removing virus and bacteria from water for safe consumption.
The bottle is BPA-free and safe to use. It is made with durable material that will not get damaged easily. It is a lightweight bottle. You can take it anywhere you want due to its small size.
The product has been suggested by more than 60% of the Amazon buyers. You can buy this without thinking twice and enjoy fresh water.
- The filters kill bacteria and virus.
- It also removes radiological substances from water.
- The bottle is made with BPA free material.
- The product is going to last long.
- It is lightweight and takes less space in kit.
- Leaking could be an issue with this bottle.
21. Grayl Ultralight Water Purifier Bottle
Ideal for hikers and campaigners, this bottle offers completely safe drinking water. The filter in the bottle works productively to remove all the harmful substances from the impure water. You can rely on this bottle.
The filer is made with durable material. And to make a bottle, high-quality and safe material is used. Both the components are easy to clean so that hygienic water is produced every time you use it.
In case, you feel the need, the cartridge is easily replaceable. It takes around 15 seconds to clean the water. The flowing rate of water is also quite good.
- The cartridge is replaceable.
- Bottle is produced with BPA-free material.
- Filter takes only 15 seconds to clean water.
- The bottle is lightweight and compact.
- It can be stored anywhere you want.
- The price of the bottle is really high.
22. Msr TrailShot Pocket-Sized Water Filter
When we start packing for camping or emergencies, we look for things that are small-sized. And this is that one small-sized water filter you can buy for your kit. It is effective and also, small-sized.
It will clean the water as per your expectations and you will get safe water. It is a lightweight product. You can use it to drink water directly from the source. Or, you can attach it with any water bottle you want.
The filter is having a compact design for easy storage. The best thing about the filter is that it is made with hollow fiber technology. The water coming through this filter will be chemical and bacteria-free.
You will find the taste of the water to be fresh and odorless. The filter and mouthpiece are made with high-quality material and they will cause you no harm.
- The filter has a compact design.
- The weight is also light.
- You can attach with bottle as well for convenience.
- It is made with good quality material.
- Water coming through this will be fresh.
- It may get blocked easily.
23. Membrane Solutions Straw Water Filter
The straw water filter is designed with the best filtration technology. Once the water will pass through it, it is going to come out pure and harmless. The taste of the water will be fresh as it is coming from a 4-stage filtration straw.
It is a long-lasting filtration straw made with durable material. The filter can be used to clean 264 gallons of water. You can clean it conveniently. Also, it is lightweight and can be stored anywhere you want.
The water filter straw has to come to the market, only after passing the filtration standards of EPA.
- It is made with 4-staged filtration technology.
- It is made with strong and long-lasting material.
- The filter straw is lightweight.
- It can be stored wherever you want.
- It is not much expensive.
- It cleans a limited quantity of water in lifetime.
24. Sawyer Products Select Series Water Filter
The Select S3 in the product helps in purifying water and makes it safe from virus and bacteria. It takes just 10 seconds to give you clean drinking water. It is a 0. 1 micron filter designed with foam membrane.
During the production, the standards of EPA were considered. So, you get a product that will give you fresh tasting and odorless water. It is a squeezable bottle that is available in an attractive color.
With this bottle, storing is not going to be a problem because of its flexibility. Even the cleaning process is smooth. And, you can use this bottle numerous times.
- It is a flexible bottle for easy storage.
- The filter gives you bacteria-free water.
- It is a reusable bottle.
- You will get odorless water.
- The color of the bottle is attractive.
- The bottle may leak if not handled properly.
25. LifeStraw Flex Advanced with Gravity Bag
This is one of the best hollow-fiber membrane water filters available in the market. It will give you the desired results. No matter what is the source of your water, the well-designed filter will clean it to the core.
The filter promises to give you chemical free and odorless water with carbon fiber capsules. It is a trusted product as it has passed EPA standards. You will find its quality reliable and durable. It is capable of cleaning 500 gallons of water in its lifetime.
And the replaceable carbon capsule will help you to clean a total of 26.4 gallons of water. The bottle gets compressed and can be stored conveniently. Also, it is lightweight.
- It is a lightweight and portable bottle.
- The filter is having best filtration system.
- The water will be fresh.
- Filter will last for a long time.
- It is a reliable product.
- If not attached properly, the handle may come off the bottle.
26. Kerrogee Portable Water Filter Straw
This is a water filter straw that is made with ultra-filtration membrane. It promises of pure water after removing 99.99% of the impurities. It can accompany you to camping, hiking, trekking to give you fresh water like home.
There are 2 filtration straws in the pack. Each of the straws can clean 396 gallons of water. There will be no odor in the water with these filters.
And, the bottom of the filter has a special design. There is a thread at the bottom of the filter to use it for beverage bottles. It is used with those bottles that are having international standard mouths for your convenience.
- The filter has ultra-filtration membrane.
- The bottom is designed with thread for your ease.
- You will get 99.99% pure water.
- It is a durable product.
- You can rely on the filter for safety.
- The flow rate of water could be slow.
27. Platypus GravityWorks
Apart from being lightweight, it is a hollow-fiber water filter system. It is designed to be suitable for hydration bladders. To filter the water, you need to hang it with the tree or wall. And, after the filtration, you will get water for 3-4 people.
It meets all the guidelines of EPA and NSF. It is designed carefully to make water bacteria and virus free. Even the taste of the water will be fresh.
Inside the pack, you are going to get 2 collapsible pouches and a hollow-fiber filter. One pouch will be for dirty water and the other will be for clean water. There will also be hoses, a universal bottle adapter, a push/pull cap adapter, and a carry bag.
The cartridge is replaceable. You can use it for cleaning 1,500 gallons of water. It is having a flow rate of 1.5 liters/minute.
- There are 2 collapsible pouches.
- The cartridge is replaceable.
- The hollow fiber filter cleans the water completely.
- It has a good flow rate of water.
- It will take less space in your bag.
- The pouches may leak, if not kept carefully.
28. Katadyn Gravity Camp 6L Water Filter
During camping, it is good to have a water filter that promises of pure water every single time you use it. Extremely durable and sturdy, it is popular among adventure lovers. It is a 6-liter water filter pouch with a water level indicator on it.
It removes all the unwanted substances from impure water. You will get chemical less and odorless water in this pouch.
Made with ultra-flow filter technology, you are going to witness the flow rate of 2 liter per minute. The water is going to flow smoothly without any blockage. The filter in the pouch can clean up to 396 gallons of water.
- It can hold up to 6 liters of clean water.
- The pouch comes with a water level indicator.
- It is available in attractive colors.
- The pouch is lightweight.
- You can compress the pouch for storage.
- After a few uses, filtration may take time.
29. Lifesaver 6000UF
LIFESAVER is a pioneer in water filtration for over a decade and has earned a lot of trust among its customers. The brainchild of LIFESAVER, the water filter bottle has all the features that an adventure-lover wants. This water filtration bottle with 6000UF is one of its top products. The bottle is designed with all the necessary features.
It will clean your water by removing bacteria and viruses. You will find no trace of chemicals in the water filtered in this bottle. Also, the water will be odorless.
The filter has the capacity to clean 1,585 gallons of water in total. The flow rate of water is also satisfactory. Storing and cleaning of the 750ml bottle is convenient as well. Basically, you are going to like the product.
- Bottle is made safe with BPA free material.
- Both filter and bottle are made with durable material.
- The filter cleans the water completely.
- Water flow rate is good.
- Bottle can be washed easily.
- The product has 2-year warranty.
- The size of the bottle will be small for some buyers.
30. Nikken 1 Waterfall Gravity Water Filter
There is a carbon filter in the tank to offer you chemical or odor-free water. The filter will give you mineral water-like quality. And, it will adjust the pH value to 8.5-9.5 range for healthy water.
Corrosion-protected magnets have also been placed inside the tank so that the magnetic fields do not allow sediment accumulation. Like many other filters, it does not require any electricity to work. It is easy to use with a capacity of 5 liter.
- The tank is having multiple filters.
- The activated carbon in the filter gives you chemical free water.
- There are magnets in the tank to avoid sediment collection.
- The water flow is smooth.
- It is easy to use and install.
- The price of the filter is really high.
31. LifeStraw Mission Water Purification System
Coming with a collapsible pouch, it is a hollow membrane water purifier. It guarantees to kill 99.99% of the bacteria and protozoa in the water. Water coming through the filter will be healthy and safe to consume.
The foldable pouch has a capacity of 5 Liter or 12 Liter. It is simple to clean. And, due to its flexibility, you can store it wherever you want. Even the handle of the pouch is designed to be strong for durability.
The material of the pouch and filter are harmless and long-lasting. The good thing about the filter is that it can clean 4,755 gallons of water in its lifetime. Also, flow rate of the water bottle is impressive.
- The pouch is available in different sizes.
- Pouch can be folded and stored easily.
- Cleaning the filter and pouch is simple.
- The life of the filter is long.
- It is a reliable product.
- It may need more care than other filters to avoid damage.
32. Geekpure Collapsible Filter Water Bottle
There are numerous filtration collapsible water bottles in the market, but there is no one like this bottle from Geekpure. The bottle is flexible and can be cleaned easily. It is made with the best material for strength and reliability.
Now, talking about the filter with the bottle, it is a 0.01 micron filter with a hollow fiber ultra-filtration membrane. The filter is made to kill and remove all the dirt, bacteria, virus, and protozoa from the water.
The product is lightweight and easily portable. It is made with BPA-free material for the safety of the buyers. And, the filter is capable of cleaning 250 gallons of water in its lifespan. So, take it for camping or hiking and enjoy healthy drinking water.
- The product is made with BPA-free material.
- You will get fresh and healthy drinking water.
- The bottle is lightweight and flexible.
- It is simple to clean the filter and bottle.
- The bottle is made to be durable.
- Some may face issues with the flow rate of water.
33. Lifesaver Liberty Water Purifier Bottle
The filter is designed very carefully and according to the standards of EPA. The filter cartridge of the bottle is made to clean 528 gallons till the end of its life. There is one activated carbon filter as well to give you an improved taste of water.
The bottle is light weighed. You can easily clean it whenever you want. Also, being portable, it can be conveniently stored in your kit. It is a product that is recommended by nearly 60% of the Amazon buyers, so, try it without any hesitation.
- Enjoy odorless and fresh water with this bottle.
- You can easily clean it.
- It is lightweight and portable.
- It is made with safe BPA free material.
- The quality of the bottle is durable.
- There are limited color options in the bottle.
34. Silvia Straw Water Filter
Every time you travel, you need something portable and convenient to use, especially when it comes to drinking water. And, there is nothing best than this straw water filter from SILVIA. The straw has a sleek design.
You can keep it in your bag and it will not take much space. It is easy to maintain and use. All you need to do is to place it in the water source and suck the filtered water in.
The filter inside this straw is made with dual filter technology. There is an antibacterial carbon pre-filter and hollow fiber Nano ultra-filtration membrane inside it to give you safe drinking water. It is a 0.01 micron filter to stop even the tiniest of the particle to pass through it.
- The straw has sleek and portable design.
- It is an easy to maintain product.
- The filter is made with dual filter technology.
- You will get safe and healthy drinking water.
- The water flow rate is good.
- The quality of the material may not be satisfactory.
35. Renovo MUV Survivalist Water Filter
This water filter is designed to keep you protected from bacteria, chemicals, virus, and heavy metals content in water. It is capable to block the smallest of unwanted particles as well. The filter guarantees only hygienic and healthy drinking water.
In this, you are going to get one MUV1 activated carbon fiber filter, a MUV2 hollow fiber filter, a pre-filter, a MUV3 Nanalum Filter, 5 pre-filter felts, a mouthpiece cap, 1 hose, 2 hose adapter, 1 bucket adapter, and a hose clamp.
It is a lightweight product that is easy to use. It can be taken anywhere you want. Even the cleaning process is not hectic. All in all, it is the best product to use.
- The filter is well-designed.
- It includes 3 different filters.
- The straw is easy to use.
- It is made with safe and durable material.
- It is a lightweight and portable product.
- Not many color options are available.
36. Katadyn Gravity BeFree Water Filter
It is a 0.01 micron filter that kills every single harmful particle. It allows only safe drinking water to pass through it. There is no scope of witnessing chemicals in the water after filtration.
It is easy to use this product. Once you attach the filter with it, hang the filled flask on the tree or wall. This way the water will get filtered easily and you will get safe drinking water. The flow rate is of the water good.
- The pouch is collapsible.
- It is made with high-quality material.
- The filter cleans the water until the end.
- The pouch is having an attractive color and design.
- It is a durable product.
- The filter may get blocked after a few uses.
37. Lixada Straw Water Filter
It is a lightweight straw. It is made with a long-lasting material that is safe to use. You can maintain the straw conveniently. You don’t require a professional to clean it from time to time.
Available in different sizes, it is a 0.01 micron filter. There is no chance of getting water with bacteria when you are using this straw. It makes the water free of chemicals and odor.
- It is a lightweight filter straw.
- The straw is made with good quality material.
- It is safe to use this water.
- It is available in a sleek design.
- Maintaining it is not an issue.
- You are going to get it a nominal price.
- The flow rate could be less.
38. Sawyer Water Filter Filtration Kit
This is a must-have kit for every traveler. It includes everything you are going to need to attach the filter with a bucket. The filter is able to clean the water completely. The water passing through this filter is fresh and healthy to drink.
The filter can pass 1 liter of pure water in just 60 seconds. It is easy to install it anywhere you want. There is a guide with the product you can use to see the cleaning process.
Everything is simple and convenient with this filtration kit. You just need to do things carefully. And, no matter what is the source of your water, it is going to get cleaned well.
- It is an easy to carry kit.
- You can conveniently install and use it.
- There is no problem with the cleaning process.
- You will get fresh water through the filter.
- It is a long-lasting product.
- The flow rate may reduce after a few usages
39. Renovo MUV Backcountry Pump Water Filter
It is one of the best water filters you are going to find in the market. It is a well-designed filter that has a pump to purify the water. There is MUV1 filter in this product to clean the water you collected from a contaminated source.
Then, there is MUV1 activated carbon fiber filter that is capable of filtering 150 gallons. Once it has expired, you can even replace the MUV1 filter. With this filter, you will get dirt-free water that will taste fresh.
It includes everything necessary for filtration like filters, pump, hose, hose adapter, and strainer. It doesn’t weigh much. It comes with a compact design for easy storage.
- The filter has a compact design.
- It is a lightweight product.
- You will find it durable and reliable.
- The filter gives you bacteri- free water.
- Cleaning it is really simple.
- Some users may face issues with the pump after sometime.
These are some of the top products you will find in the market. Each of these is having different features. But each one of them aims at giving you pure drinking water.
No matter where you are and when you are using it, the filters will offer you water that is free of bacteria and chemicals. Also, these filters will provide you odorless water that is fresh in taste. As each one of them comes with a different lifespan, you can buy the one you find suitable.
You just need to consider the necessary factors before a purchase. It is important to check the features carefully and then think through the factors like size, weight, and other things to buy the right product according to your needs.
If you don’t know what factors you should keep in mind, go through the below section carefully and remember the different aspects of buying a portable water filtration product.
Factors To Look For When Buying The Best Survival Water Filter
When you step out in the market to buy a product, there are various things you need to look for in a product. Similarly, when you go to buy a survival water filter, there are some aspects of the product you need to think through before buying it.
But what are those aspects or factors?
1. Right Size
If you are buying a survival filter for camping or hiking, you need to check its size. It should have a compact design so that it can fit in your kit along with other essential things. The filters are available in different sizes, ranging from small to big.
You can choose the one according to your need and the size of the bag. Make sure it is big enough to contain sufficient water for your trip.
2. Check Weight
The weight is also one of the important factors you need to keep in mind, while buying a water filter. As you are going to fill water in it, it will get heavy. So, initially, it needs to have a lightweight so that it doesn’t make your bag heavy.
Usually, most of the portable filters are lightweight but you should still check the weight before making the purchase.
3. Flow Rate
Buy a water filter that comes with a good flow rate. It should filter and pass the water at a good speed so that you don’t have to suck hard through it. There are filters that are having a normal flow rate. You can consider buying them, but it is good to go with those having high speed of flow.
The flow rate is always mentioned in the features of the product, go through it carefully. Only after checking the speed, you should buy the product.
4. Filtration Speed
Also, know about the filtration speed of the water filter. It needs to have a good filtration rate to be called the best product. As you don’t know the conditions in which you are going to use the filter, you should ensure that the rate is good enough so that you do not have to wait for filtration for too long.
Sometimes, you need water instantly and for such situations, you need a filter with a high filtration speed. There are various filters that purify a specific amount of water in a minute.
Then, there are various other filters as well that are cleaning the same amount of water in just a few seconds. So, you need to make a choice carefully only after knowing about the various features of a product.
5. Filter Lifespan
Before you buy a water filter, it is good to know the lifespan of the filter. While some of the filters can last for a few days, there are some filters that have a lifespan of a few weeks and months as well.
Then, there are going to be some filters that will allow you to clean up to 264 gallons of water in their lifetime. While, some will let you clean 100,000 gallons of water until they need to be replaced.
Choosing the lifespan of the filter is completely up to your usage. You should consider it according to the number of times you are going to need it.
6. Usage Process
Another thing that is important to look for before the purchase is how to use it. While some are simple to use, some may have a specific way of usage. Some of the filters are like straw and you just need to such water through it.
Some filtration processes need the bottle to be hung from a tree so that the process is complete. Therefore, you should buy filter bottles only after properly understanding the usage process. It should be simple and less confusing.
7. Filter Types
During the purchase, you will find that there are various types of water filters available in the market. There are straw filters, pump filters, bottle filters, gravity filters, and UV filters. You can buy any of these filters after knowing how to use them.
You can look out for the filters that can be easily used and stored in the bag. It is better to buy a filter that will not take much space in your bag and is flexible.
8. Material Quality
As it was mentioned already. There are different types of filters available in the market. Some are bottle filters and some are straw filters. Whichever type of filter you will buy, you need to be sure with the quality of material.
The quality of the bottle or straw should be strong and durable. They need to last for a long time. They shouldn’t get damaged easily. Also, there should be no scope of leakage when the bottle is kept in your bag.
9. Cleaning Process
To know about the cleaning process is also important. If you want the filter to work properly for a long time, it needs to be cleaned regularly. And, to clean it, the process should be simple.
You may have to clean the filter in unexpected situations, so you can’t get stuck with a filter whose cleaning process is confusing. At the time of purchase, read the instruction for cleaning the filter. And then make a decision for the purchase.
Have a set price range in your mind and then start looking for the water filters. A specific budget in your mind will help you to buy a filter according to your pocket. There are various filters available at a nominal price.
Or, if you can afford, there are various filters that are a little expensive as well. It is totally up to your affordability. You should not run out of money while buying a water filter.
All the buyers should have a habit of reading reviews before buying any product. Going through the reviews in the beginning will allow you to buy a product that is actually durable and reliable. There are various products making false claims and going through the reviews will save you from falling for them.
Detailed reviews of the products will tell you if it will be useful for you or not. It will also help you navigate the way the product should be handled.
Considering these factors will help you in buying the right product. With these aspects, you will get a product with right size, weight, features, and usage. You will end up buying the best quality product at the right price.
Keep each one of them in mind as you start shopping for the survival water filter. Every point mentioned in this section is stated carefully, keeping the requirements of the buyers in mind. So, you will definitely find it useful.
What Is A Survival Water Filter?
As we are talking about the survival water filters in this guide, we should first know what exactly it is. So, it is basically a handy water filter you need for your survival during emergencies, camping, or hiking. You can carry it anywhere you want.
It is a water filter that is usually lightweight and small in size to be kept in your bag. These filters guarantee pure water. They are available in various sizes and colors.
1. Straw Filters
Straw filters are really small in size and can be kept even in your pocket. These are the filters that are just like a straw we use in our everyday life. The only difference is that it comes with a filtration system installed inside it.
To use them, you need to get close to the water source and dip it to start filling water. Just as you are filing water, the filter is cleaning it instantly to offer you water that is pure and healthy for consumption.
Mostly, the cartridge of these filters is made with a hollow fiber membrane. And generally, their holes are 0.02 microns wide to stop as much particles as possible from entering your mouth. Its filtration process is strong enough to give you safe drinking water.
2. Pump Filters
Although on the bulkier side, they are small enough to fit in your traveling bag. To use such filters, you need to use the pump in order to take out the water from the source.
The water then gets filtered and transferred in a clean container for consumption. Some of these filters use ceramic filters, while some of them use fiber filters. There are few others as well that use one of these filters along with activated carbon filter.
They have a micron hole ranging from 0.5 to 0.1, depending on different factors. It is good at making the water odorless. But the only problem with these filters is that they are not as much capable as other filters in keeping smaller variants of bacteria from the stomach.
3. Bottle Filters
These are the bottles coming with filters to purify the contaminated water. The best part of these bottles is that you can use them even without the filters in your day to day life at home.
The bottle filters have a good filtration system and they clean the water to the core. Some of the bottles have fiber filters, whereas some have activated carbon filters. But, aim of both the filters is to give you safe drinking water.
While some of the bottles are made with solid material, some of the bottles are designed with flexible and collapsible material. Collapsible bottles are easier to store in the bag. You can fold them when they are not in use and keep them inside the bag.
4. Gravity Filters
Now is the time to talk about the gravity filters. These filters are said to be the best choice for trekkers and campers. In such filters, you get 2 containers and a filtration source.
What you need to do is to fill contaminated water in one container and the other container will start getting filled with the clean water coming through the filtration pipe. It all happens due to the gravitational force.
These filters have in-built ceramic and activated carbon filters for guaranteed purity of water. It is an efficient filter. The filter cartridge in this type can last for up to one year.
5. UV Filters
Though only a few hikers prefer using these filters, they are one of the best survival products available in the market. These filters run on batteries. Very effective in the filtration process, these filters keep away bacteria and viruses from the water.
Extremely fast in purifying water, these filters guarantee odorless drinking water. And, it is good at maintaining the essential minerals in the water for the user’s good health.
So, these are some different types of filters you can easily find in the market. Each one of them is having different features. And, each one is used in a different manner.
You can buy any type of filter depending on their features, price, and using process. While some are really easy to use, for some you are required to understand the process. But all of them promise of cleaning the water properly.
Why Do You Need A Survival Water Filter?
Now, when we know what a survival filter is and what are its different types, we should move forward to know about its need. Why should we have a survival filter during a trip and inside a emergency backpack? What are the risks of consuming contaminated water when we run out of a mineral water?
There are various risks of drinking water from contaminated sources and some of them have been mentioned below:
- In some of the contaminated water sources you will find E. coli. It is an infection that causes fever diarrhea, vomiting, and pain in abdomen. You can come across these symptoms immediately after drinking unclean water. But these symptoms will go away in a few days or weeks.
- You are also prone to consume Giardia Lamblia due to which you might have to suffer from diarrhea, cramps in stomach, and nausea as well. These symptoms may come across after 2 weeks of consuming dirty water from an unknown source.
- Unhygienic water can also cause you salmonella infection that can lead to vomiting, fever, diarrhea, muscle cramps, and nausea. You will not know about being infected immediately as the symptoms appear within 3 days after drinking unsafe water.
- There are chances of you being infected by Hepatitis A, a virus found in unclean water. This can cause you fever, pain in stomach, nausea, and even jaundice. And all the symptoms take around 28 days to come to the forefront.
- Legionella pneumonia is also one of the infections you can suffer from due to unclean water. You can suffer from cough, fever, and muscle pain. And if these problems are not treated on time, one can also die.
All of this can happen to you, if you dare to drink contaminated water. This is because there are numerous infections, virus, and bacteria present in unclean water. All of this can contribute in turning your happy trip into a problematic one.
That is why it is important for all the travelers to have the best survival filter in their bag. In fact, all the emergency bags should have survival filters. Having them with you during the trips will allow you to consume water that is safe and healthy.
The filters work efficiently to remove and kill all the harmful infections, bacteria, virus, and protozoa. They try their best to offer fresh drinking water that is free from chemicals. They make sure that the water you are getting is odorless.
It is only for the sake of your good health that you need to be ready with survival filters all the time during the trips. They can save you from a lot of health issues contaminated water can cause. They give you healthy water to keep you hydrated and in shape throughout the trip.
Different Ways Of Purifying Water
A hiker or a trekker needs to be a pro. They need to know all the survival hacks if they are lacking some of the essential things for their sustainability. And in case, you have lost or damaged your survival filter for water, this is what you can do to purify any water for consumption:
- Boiling water is one of the most traditional ways for purifying water. All you need is a utensil to boil the water and some fire. You need to keep the water on fire for a while and once it starts boiling remove the water from fire.
Let it boil for a while so that all the contaminated particles are killed or removed properly. Drink water only after making sure that it is safe for use.
- Distillation is another method of purifying water for drinking or cooking food. Here you need to boil the water and capture the steam it releases in a container. In this method you are basically going to consume the steam of the water as it is a purified form of contaminated water.
Even though there will be some harmful substances left in the water, it will become safer than the contaminated water you collected from the source.
- There are various disinfectant tablets available in the market that you can keep in your bag. You need to dissolve a capsule in the unclean water. Let it stay for a while and then you can use the clean water for cooking food or drinking.
- In case you know how to make a filter on your own you can try it. There are various videos available on the internet you can go through. They will guide you step by step to build a safe and effective survival filter to purify water.
Thought these are effective ways for purifying the water, there are always chances that the water is not properly cleaned. So, you need to make sure that you are buying the best survival filter from the market that is going to last for a long time and will give you desired results.
If possible, you can always have an extra set of water filter in your bag so that if one is damaged, you can use the other one. And, in case, you want to know about more methods to filter water without a survival filter, you can search online.
You will find various simple and easy ways to purify the water on your own. Make sure that you are following all the steps so that there is no scope of even a small mistake. This is because we have just read what can happen to you if the water is not safe for consumption.
So, to ensure a healthy and happy trip, follow instruction properly to have a water filter made by you.
Simple Differences Between Water Filter And Water Purifier
When we are talking about water filters, most people confuse it with water purifiers. Before you go out for shopping a water filter, it is necessary for you to understand the difference between both of these concepts.
Water filters are the most-used products in the market. These are the filters that help you in removing or reducing the impurities from contaminated water. Some of the impurities that these filters remove are lead, nickel, iron, mercury, and copper. The filters are said to purify more than these like virus and bacteria. They also restore the vitamins and minerals of water.
Though they do not assure to remove 100% of these bacteria and virus from the water, they reduce their level in the water. They make the water almost safe for consumption and not completely.
It is not always easy to carry water purifiers when you are on a trip because they are bulky. It is, therefore, recommended to carry a filter instead so that you have better accessibility to potent drinking water.
If you have to chose between a water purifier and a water filter, first determine what purpose you wish to use it for. If it is for the whole family at home, use the purifier. Filters are only for emergency purposes and purifiers are for consumption at home.
It really depends on your choice and your water requirements. Buy it from the market or online, always read the features and the functionalities of both the products and decide accordingly. Checking for the price range is also important since a filter could be on the cheaper side than a purifier.
If You Should Buy It From The Market
Now, it is the last thing we need to discuss about in this guide. There is no harm in buying a water filter from the market. And you can even buy it online. But whatever way you are choosing, you need to be sure that you are buying it from a reliable shop or a trustworthy online portal.
In both the cases, you need to go through the features carefully. You should check the size, weight, material, and function properly. All the factors we have mentioned in this guide are needed to be considered properly.
The only difference you will feel is that if you are buying it from the market, you will be able to check most of the features before the purchase. But if you are buying it online, you will be able to see the features after the purchase only.
In the market, you will be able to check the quality of the filter and container both. You will be able to judge the right size and weight of the product. You would be able to understand its function before the purchase. And all this is not possible with the online option.
In case, you go for the online option, and you receive a damaged product, you will have to go through the long process of returning or replacing the product. And you will have to wait for a few more days to get the right product according to your choice.
So, it is always better to go to the market and then buy a product. Another benefit of going to the market is that you get the chance of bargaining. You get the chance of visiting different shops to get the same product with high-quality at an affordable price.
whereas, this is quite not possible with the online option. Therefore, there is no harm in going for the market if you want to get the best product for your trip and health.
So, ditch the online option for a while and pop into your shoes to hop around the market for the best survival filter at the best prices.
Does Water Filtration Remove The Important Minerals Required For The Body?
It is true that filtration can remove minerals from the water, but they would not have added a significant number to the body’s overall requirements. Most of our nutrients are absorbed from food and not water that we drink.
Simply put, the number of minerals one would intake from 8-ounce glass of water would be less than a slice of bread. Moreover, our body controls the absorption of minerals in liquid forms so the theory of nutrition from water does not hold good.
The Calcium in water is in the form of dissolved rock and the body is not engineered to absorb the same. If you are particular about minerals, the water should be first purified and minerals should then be added in it.
A Good Water Filter Will Promise You Good Health
Water is one of the most important elements for the sustenance of living beings. Humans, especially cannot live without water. One of the five elements that the earth is made of, water is all about life and living organisms.
We need fresh water to cook, drink, clean ourselves. Therefore, purifying water before using it is the best solution these days, in this age of pollution.
We have seen in one of the above sections, how unclean water can cause different problems like vomiting, nausea, jaundice, diarrhea, and various other issues. Some of these problems can even cause death if not treated on time.
So, for the sake of our good health and to avoid health issues, it is important to drink water from clean sources only. It is important to consume only filtered and purified water because there will no or less bacteria and virus in such water.
Now, there are various ways you can use to purify water on your own, such as boiling the water or by distillation or even by making your own water filter. But all these methods are required to be carefully executed You need to follow each step precisely to get the desired results.
And, if there is any mistake in any of these processes, you can end up consuming water with contaminants that can make you suffer from different problems. It is not necessary that each one of us have a strong immune system to fight these issues. So, consuming clean water is absolutely necessary.
If you are using these methods, you should know that none of these methods promise you of absolutely clean and safe water for consumption. All these are the methods that are going to kill or remove the impurities only to some extent.
There will always be risk of you being affected by the contaminants left behind in the water you just used for cooking food or drinking. But then what should you do to avoid all these issues?
You should simply buy the best survival water filter from the market or online. There are different types of water filters available in the market for your assistance. Each one of them is having different features and different outcomes.
Some will take time to filter the water while some will do it in seconds. Some are available as units or machines, some are available as bottles, which can be used as water bottles too. They are available in various shapes, sizes, and colors.
When you are in the market to buy a water filter for hiking, trekking, or your emergency bag, you need to look through various factors. You need to look for the right size, weight, material, and design of the water filter.
You will have to judge the filtration speed and flow rate of the water as well. You will have to check the quality of the product. You have to understand its functioning, and you also have to understand its cleaning process.
All of these things are important to be considered at the time of purchase because each one of them is going to help you in buying the right product. This will help you in buying a product exactly according to your needs.
Depending on your requirements, ask for the right model from the shopkeeper. You can take a look into the features provided on the labels and judge for yourself if the filter meets your expectations. Follow the guide provided to you, which has been made considering all your requirements.
The most important thing you need to check in a filter is its quality. While you are buying a filter for trekking and camping, it has to be strong and durable. It is because during such activities you go through tough conditions. And there is no point in having a product that will easily get damaged during these times.
You need to have a product that will last till the end of your trip and even after that to be used numerous times. You need a product that will work efficiently no matter what the situation is. And only a high-quality product can promise you all this.
Getting all the functionalities may not even run you out of money. You can buy extremely durable filters within your budget too. The market is full of them. However, do not aim for ultra advanced technology, which might cost you a lot. Choose something that will serve the purpose of filtering water alone.
Sometimes people make a common mistake. They end up buying a low-quality product just because of the prices. And that product eventually ditches them when they need it the most.
FAQs on Survival Water Filters
1. Is It Easy To Wash Water Filters?
Yes, it is simple to wash the water filters from time to time. You just need to use the right detergent and clean water to wash it. In some of the cases, it is little complicated to wash a water filter. But in such cases, you get a guide along with the product for your guidance.
The cleaning process doesn’t take much time. And, once it is done, you are all set to get fresh drinking water again.
2. What Are Some Water Filters That Remove Most Of The Containments?
Aquagear 8-Cup Water Filter Pitcher, Big Berkey Gravity-Fed Water Filter, Home Master Artesian Reverse Osmosis, Culligan FM-15A Faucet Mount Filter, Home Master HMF3SDGFEC, Home Master TMHP HydroPerfection, Fleck 5600SXT 48,000 Grain, and AquaBliss High Output 12-Stage are some of the best water filters you are going to find in the market.
Each one of them is good at removing most of the impurities from the water to give you clean and healthy water to drink and cook. Most of the trekkers prefer these filters for their adventures.
So, you too should try them out. All of them are available at nominal prices for your convenience.
3. Can A Water Filter Be Used To Remove Viruses?
Well, most of the water filters claim that they can remove the viruses from contaminated sources. But the truth is that they can remove bacteria and protozoa only. They cannot remove the virus from contaminated water.
And, if you are looking for something to remove virus from the water, it is better to look for high-end water purifiers that are available in the market. They can completely remove different viruses from the water.
4. What Are Some Good Materials To Clean Unsafe Water?
Charcoal and soil are some of the good materials you can use to clean the water. You can utilize them if you are making a water filter on your own. These are the materials that are easily available in the market and around you.
However, charcoal that is used for water filtration is activated charcoal and not the normal charcoal used in our daily lives. Charcoal filtration works on the principal of adsorption Adsorption binds impurities chemically and not physically.
The pores in activated charcoal increase the surface area of the charcoal up to an extraordinary 2000 square meters per gram.
Water that passes through soil is cleaned physically, chemically, and biologically. Pollutants in water get trapped in the pores of the soil. Some soils have chemical charge, which attracts chemicals with the opposite charge.
5. What Are Some Of The Best Water Filters In The Market?
APEC 5-Stage Water Filter, APEX Countertop Water Filter, PUR PFM400H Chrome Horizontal Faucet Mount, CuZn UC-200 Under Counter Water Filter, Berkey Stainless Steel Water Filtration System, and ZeroWater 6 Cup Water Filter Pitcher are some of the best water filters you are going to find in the market.
These are the filters that assure completely safe water for drinking. Ask for a demo from the store you are buying from or read the manual properly before using the filter. Compare their prices online and offline and buy from the best and the most reliable stores.
6. Can Boiling Water Kill Bacteria And Viruses?
Yes, boiling water can absolutely kill or inactivate the viruses and bacteria present in contaminated water. The heat plays an important role in killing and removing the viruses from the water.
If you are taking water from any unsafe source, it is good to let the water boil for a while and then use it for drinking and cooking.
7. Can We Use Cloth Or A Fine Membrane To Filter Water?
It is advisable to do so only when you do not have any other options. However, even then there are rules to follow. Irrespective of the membrane filter material, it is always recommended to use a 0.2 µm pore size membrane filter material.
This material has been scientifically proven to retain 99% of germs in water. Some also suggest that the filtering cloth or membrane is best used after the water is boiled, which eliminates even the slightest probability of contamination in drinking water.
8. How To Make An Activated Charcoal Water Filter?
One of the most widely used product for water filtration, activated charcoal can eliminate 90% probability of water contamination. Due to its porous nature, it is also used in aquariums to recycle water. A few simple steps to make a water filtration system with activated charcoal:
- The glass pitcher should be cleaned and sterilized using a solution of 8 drops of bleach per gallon of water.
- The coffee filter should be placed at the bottom of the pitcher, ensuring that the spout is covered
- Purchase a 2 pound bag of activated charcoal and soak it in water for 15 minutes to ensure that the carbon is saturated.
- Three-fourth of the pitcher should be filled with saturated carbon, leaving space at the top as a water reservoir.
- Half of the pitcher should be filled with water, not more. As the water spills out of the spout at the bottom, it will filter through the carbon and the water is ready for consumption.
To sum up, water filters are not just useful for hikers, trekkers, and adventure lovers, it is also useful for people who reside in a calamity-prone area. This is one of the most important elements of a bug-out-bag. You never know when a tornado hits or the area is inundated and you may have to just look for an alternative shelter, which is mostly likely an emergency camp.
Most often than not, these camps just have the bare minimum necessities, like a small shelter and running taps or borewells.
There is no guarantee that the water you are using here is absolutely fit for drinking or cooking. A collapsible water filter bottle could save your day in such a situation. If each of the family members has one of his own, access to clean drinking water would not be a problem at all.
However, ensure that the filtration capacity of the filter is high because you do not know how long will you have to stay in a camp before you headed back home.